Saturday, August 27, 2005

My Fantasy team

I had the #5 overall pick in a 10-team league. We start 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB, 1 K, 1 DEF. 5 pts for TDs across all categories. 30 pass yds per point. 10 rushing or receiving yards per point. Importantly, return yards are 50 per point (credited to defenses, not individual players). This makes Buffalo much more valuable than normal. My team (backups in parentheses):

QB Manning (Carr)
WR Derrick Mason, Deion Branch, Rod Smith (Amani Toomer and Antwaan Randle El)
RB Tiki Barber, Fred Taylor (DeShaun Foster and Chris Brown)
TE Randy McMichael (L.J. Smith)
K Shayne Graham
DEF Buffalo (Philadelphia)

Hopefully Manning can remain sturdy. In his bye week, the Texans host the Browns, which made Carr a worthwhile pick there. I'm hoping Mason comes through for the Ravens this year. With Lewis back at full speed, that should open the passing lanes up some for Mason to get deep. Meanwhile, Deion Branch is locked in at #1 in New England, and while they spread the ball around a lot, I'm hoping Branch can rack up 1000 yards and 7 TDs. Rod Smith, well he's just been consistent. I'm hoping he's not at the end of his career, but we'll see. Randle El seems to be a popular sleeper pick among some, so I figured I'd take a flier and see how he does. If he doesn't produce, I'll look down the Raiders or Vikes depth charts to see.

My RB situation could be stellar. Problem is, Taylor and Brown are injury prone, and Foster may have to split carries later in the season. I haven't taken the dive with Fred much in the past, so I figured what the hell? Maybe Leftwich's development will prevent defenses from stacking the run vs the Jags.

Randy McMichael ought to get tons of opportunities to catch balls down in Miami, and if not, I feel L.J. Smith will light it up big time in Philly in light of the madness in their receiving corps.

Shayne Graham will kick a lot, since Cincy will be lighting up the scoreboard whenever they're not playing Baltimore.

I'm happy, not thrilled, with this team, especially the injury sensitivity of my RBs, but I couldn't pass on Manning at 5. Aside from Peyton, it is definitely a team of under-the-radar type performers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home