Tuesday, August 23, 2005

LSU article from my hometown paper

What I like is Bo Pelini's comment about how valuable a great D-Line is because it makes your secondary that much better. On an NFL-note, I keep wishing that would make the Aints pull it all together since they've invested so much on that D-Line (four first round picks, in fact - Charles Grant, Will Smith, and two that were packaged to trade up and take the bust that is Jonathan Sullivan...further, Darren Howard is close, as we picked him early in the 2000 second round and that was the year we didn't have a first rounder b/c we traded 'em all for Ricky in '99).

Anyway, what I don't get - and I have no link here, just going from my TSN preview book - is why The Sporting News didn't list LSU's D-line in its top ten. WTF? 3 SEC teams are listed - Tennessee (4), Florida (6), and Auburn (10). IMHO (In my homer opinion), LSU's is better than Florida's and Auburn's, and arguably superior to UT's as well - though I'd accept second to that unit. Whatever. One thing I do agree with TSN on is that N.C. State is absolutely loaded here. Based on my feeling that a solid D-Line is far more preferable to a solid back 7, I think N.C. State will cause some big problems for teams this year - Va Tech will have to earn the victory when they travel there to kick off the season on Sunday, September 4th. If ole Chuck Amato can keep his head on straight - something I'm never going to be convinced he can do after that absolute DISASTER in overtime vs Ohio State a few years ago - they could put together a pretty decent season (for a team without a decent QB) down in Raleigh.

5 Comments:

At 8/23/2005 10:22:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auburn's defensive line is undoubtedly better than LSU's. It might be better than Tennessee's also. There isn't a better pair of ends in the SEC (or, for that matter, in the entire nation) than McClover and Groves. Jackson is a rock in the middle of the line and Dickens is stout as well.

 
At 8/24/2005 06:21:00 AM, Blogger Publius said...

"Undoubtedly." Is this because CF News told you so?

Anyway, as I said, all this was noted IMHO - In My Homer Opinion.

 
At 8/24/2005 06:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Undoubtedly. They were the best line in the SEC last year by a quite a bit and all four starters are back. There's no reason for me to think other teams that are breaking in new starters have a better line than a unit that is returning everyone from what was the best the previous season.

 
At 8/24/2005 10:52:00 PM, Blogger Publius said...

I love how on matters of opinion, you deal in absolutes. Good times, C-money!

 
At 8/25/2005 12:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are times when opinions and absolutes are one and the same.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home