Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Making money on the NCAA Tourney

I'm not going to claim that I can do it, but in order to make money in the tournament, you have to have a good idea of what the market is thinking. ESPN has a "national bracket" up that tabulates all the voters' brackets, which I think has to be the closest thing to a market you're going to get with the tourney. Turns out the voters believe every 1,2,3, and 4 seed will advance to the Sweet 16. I guarantee you that will not happen. Now up to you to figure out who won't make it, and bet the moneylines there. Good luck!

My Sweet 16? (edit: I mean Elite 8)
Illinois (1) vs OSU (2)
Georgia Tech (5) vs Wake (2)
UNC (1) vs Kansas (3)
Duke (1) vs Utah (6)


I'll be thinking long and hard about that Georgia Tech pick. Apparently it's chic to pick against the Washington Huskies now that they've gotten the 1 seed. A coworker and UW alum mentioned to me today that had the Huskies gotten a 3 or 4 seed, they'd be the chic pick to make the Final Four. Oh how the seedings play with people's minds!

UPDATE: I am consensus on the Final Four: NC over Duke, Illinois over Wake, Illinois over UNC in the final. Ugh.

4 Comments:

At 3/15/2005 12:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be posting my picks on my site before going to bed tonight but I want to say one thing about Georgia Tech: everyone is on their bandwagon right now but they're playing an outstanding Louisville team in the second round. The Cardinals are the No. 4 team in the nation, won a four-bid league's regular season and tournament titles, and have one of the five best coaches in America on their side.

Point being, I'm not really sure why everyone is overlooking the Cardinals in that matchup.

 
At 3/15/2005 12:57:00 PM, Blogger Publius said...

Actually, everyone's NOT overlooking the Cardinals in that matchup. Check out the link to ESPN's bracket. 60% of the country thinks Louisville will roll.

 
At 3/15/2005 02:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me amend my statement--I'm not really sure why everyone ON TELEVISION is overlooking the Cardinals in that matchup.

 
At 3/22/2005 01:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like those tv bastards were wrong!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home