Monday, December 05, 2005

Oh yeah, and football americano

([Edit: Yes,] I know it's spelled futbol in the espanol.) I'm stoked we (LSU) get to play Miami in the Peach Bowl, but we BLEEEEE-HEEEEEWWWWW against UGA. With Les and Jimbo at the helm, we'll likely BLOOOO-HOOOWWWW against Miami. But I'm still excited we get that matchup. Will our wide receivers learn to catch? Will our offensive line learn to block? Will our veteran leaders minimze ridiculous personal foul penalties in what's still a big game? Tune in and find out!

Also, the sponsor of the Peach Bowl is Chick-fil-a. I love Chick-fil-a nuggets, and their waffle fries. God is good.

One last thing, if USC's 70-17 victory over Arkansas is so telling compared to the measly margins of victory the SEC had over the Razorbacks, what does USC's 66-19 victory over UCLA say about the rest of the Pac 10? Will this even be addressed or just brushed under the rug by HP et al? Probably brushed under the rug, but I'm guessing more because folks are just growing weary of the Pac-10/SEC talk rather than just dodging the question. After all, there's USC-Texas to discuss.

Can't say I'm entirely disappointed with the way the bowls have turned out. I'm not a fan of either SC or Texas but am pumped to watch that game. I could give a rat's ass about Penn State and Florida State (mostly because Penn State should roll easily there), but Notre Dame and Ohio State in the Fiesta should be fun, and hell it'll be intriguing to see the results of Bama-Texas Tech, Auburn-Wisconsin, and Oregon-Oklahoma. Maybe UCLA-Northwestern, but other than that, yech. Hope you have something better to do on New Year's Eve than watch college football, because all you're getting is TCU-Iowa State, NC State-South Florida, and Tulsa-Fresno State. Joy.

Random NFL observations:

- If I'm somehow in the area at the time, you know damn well I will be at the first Saints game back at the Superdome next year, no matter how bad we are.

- Yeah, all signs point towards our being really REALLY bad next year. Let's see, hapless franchise who has an unstable future. No coach in his right mind would want to come here, so we're stuck with Jim Haslett, one of the worst head coaches in any sport, since no one else in his right mind would take the spot. I say his, but perhaps Pat Summitt would consider the opportunity if we gave it to her? Yeah she's a basketball coach, but I mean, her knowledge of rudimentary football strategy has to rival that of anyone on our staff. [Now, this was deemed offensive, but I'm choosing not to edit it as I think my point was entirely misconstrued by someone who was entirely unaware that Pat Summitt is one of the greatest coaches in any sport in history. The point is that she coaches women's basketball, but is a great coach, and thus to me would probably do a better job coaching the Saints tham Jim Haslett.]

- Good God, Brett Favre is just bad. Not that he doesn't have talent still, but his decisionmaking has dropped so precipitously, he clearly trusts no one on that team what with all those injuries to his supporting cast. Still, many of the throws he makes are just inexcusable, particularly the floater off his back foot 20 yards into the endzone near the end of the first half that the Bears took back 95 yards to set up a lead-changing field goal as the clock expired. Brilliant.

- That look Kerry Collins gets when everything is going wrong, it's somewhere between a six year old staring at a linear algebra textbook and your typical pet goldfish. I wonder if anything actually goes through his head. Ever.

- Then again, lately I suppose the same can be said about Aaron Brooks more often than not.

- Just when I start thinking the Texans are going to make it a battle for the #1 pick, giving us hope to move up a bit in the draft, they pull off more gut-punch ways to lose. Last minute length-of-the-field game-winning drive orchestrated against you by perhaps the worst offense in the NFL? Check. Why the Texans even bothered to celebrate the FG with a minute left that put them up 2 is beyond me. We all knew what was coming. (And yet I held out hope for our draft pick anyway. Kill me.)

- Ok so the Bears/Vikes NFC North winner trade isn't working out so hot just yet. But the Vikes have won both games as I expected and host the Rams this week while the Bears travel to Pittsburgh, so the 2-game lead ought to close to 1, with three to play (including a head-to-head). I still think the Bears win the North, I just don't think it's 90% likely.

- Speaking of the Rams, that sound you hear is the Ryan Fitpatrick bandwagon crashing and burning. I'm sure Chirag will have something to say about it, as he actually worked that game for Fox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home