Tuesday, August 16, 2005

"Gang of Six" college football teams moving to the next level

Got this link through the CF Resource, which I stumbled across as it showed up as a referrer site the other day. Anyway, the guys over at this blog called Heisman Pundit - maybe it's famous, I have no idea, I'm new to reading college football blogs - have come up with this concept that there is a group of six college football teams which are "moving out of the stone age" (to quote the CF Resource guys on another post) to establish some of the most elite systems in the land, on offense, defense, or both. Pretty interesting reading, but it seems to me that the list is entirely offense-oriented, though SC certainly lays the hammer down on D as well.

Anyway, to me, this is ridiculously fun reading. I'm not through it all yet, I'll be back with more comments later.

1 Comments:

At 8/16/2005 06:15:00 PM, Blogger Publius said...

My take: Now where's the discussion about defense? This analysis COMPLETELY whiffs on the LSU national championship team, the Oklahoma national title team, and the Miami national title team (which admittedly was stacked on offense too). It is rather west-coast oriented (and I don't mean the offense, I mean the geographic region). Yes Florida is on there, but Urban's profile got really big out here on the west coast before he headed out there. Louisville is an exception.

I have to do more digging on this site; I simply cannot believe these guys would completely ignore defense - they sound way too smart to be doing that.

That said, their take on Auburn in their top tens last year is comical. Talent obviously means something, and the SEC, top to bottom, was (and is again this year) far more talented than the Pac-10.

I'd also like to see their analysis of why Cal (who were apparently gods to the HP folks at the end of last year) got humiliated by the unsophisticated Texas Tech types...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home