Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Random Los Angeles observations

1) The roads here are HORRIBLE. My truck shakes violently on a large part of the stretch of the 405 between Westwood and Manhattan Beach. And it otherwise drives fine. Meanwhile, there are potholes everywhere on main roads like Wilshire, Rosecrans, Sepulveda. This is one area in which the Seattle area excels on a relative basis.

2) You'll encounter assholes on the road more frequently here than most other places simply because of the large volume of cars, but I never fail to be impressed with the ability of MOST L.A. drivers to navigate at a respectable speed (65+ mph) in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Asian women drivers, naturally, are entirely excluded from this observation.

3) There are lots of hot Indian girls down here. And apparently they all party. This is most excellent. Think I can find any who voted for Bush?

4) There is a Whole Foods on every other block. This is also most excellent. They have very good lunches there. Salad bar too. And it's not that expensive, either. Those of you up in Kirkland, it's worth the trip into Bellevue to give it a shot.

5) The gym situation has improved. In addition to the ratio and quality improving markedly today, yesterday they brought in about 10 new ellipticals. Now hopefully it'll be a little easier to go longer than 20 minutes on cardio since there will be some empty machines. I still can't bring myself to do like over half the assholes there and just blatantly violate the rule when the gym is packed. It is most certainly NOT like getting in the 10-item express lane at Safeway when you have 11 items, nor is it like unbuckling your seat belt before the captain turns off the fasten seat belt sign. It actually is a crappy thing to do to other people. Which is why I can't do it, and I know I gots some good karma building up for my adherence to that shit.

6) There is a great Cajun restaurant 1.4 miles from our office. This is the place I drove approximately 55 miles to get to once upon a time while I was in Claremont. They even have Louisiana TECH paraphernalia there, let alone LSU!

7) There is a Chick-fil-A a mere three miles from the office!!!! And yes, of course I dragged G there on my first day of work this past Monday.

8) Our office is also just a couple miles from Compton. I'd forgotten that. What, bitch? I'd also forgotten about the 2Pac line "Worldwide, let 'em recognize from Long Beach to Rosecrans." Hah! I drive a little ways on Rosecrans every day! Get a little tingle in my spine every time. Kinda like being in Seattle and driving on Broadway, and thinking about the Sir Mix-a-Lot song "Posse on Broadway," but here, it's Pac versus Mix. Come on, now.

9) Speaking of rap lines, I have not yet flossed any hoes at Roscoe's. And Fatburger is no longer Cali-only, so it doesn't really matter whether I've gone there. And it's going to be a lonnnnngggggg ass time before I'm sippin Christo with some freaks from Frisco.

10) Yeah, I listened to Going Back to Cali at the border on my drive down. You expected anything less?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home