Monday, March 07, 2005

Athletes having health issues

Boston-area hospitals reported a 78-percent increase in stroke-related complaints from men between the ages of 20 and 49 in the two days after Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi's Feb. 16 hospitalization. "It seems to be the effect of information that the public got on strokes and a very public person having those symptoms," said Dr. Anita Barry of the Boston Public Health Commission. "It's very unusual to see strokes in young men."


I am reminded of a conversation I once had with a proctologist: he noted that, despite Tom Green's having managed to lower society's collective IQ by about 10% over the course of his 15 minutes, the guy had made huge inroads for the medical community in raising awareness of testicular cancer because he incorporated the treatment process in his TV show. Apparently hordes of young men nationwide were flocking to their docs because they were worried they had it. (Yes, I went to the proctologist b/c I was worried I had nut cancer.)

(Oh, and no I didn't go to the doc because I'd seen that Tom Green show.)

(Oh, and no I didn't have nut cancer.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home